- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced oven. Line muffin or mini-muffin pans with paper cases.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition (mixture will separate at this stage). Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in half the flour. Stir in half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk until combined.
- For 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pans use 2 level tablespoons of mixture. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Alternatively, for 1 tablespoon-capacity mini muffin pans use 1 tablespoon mixture. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stand cakes in pans for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Once your cup cakes have cooled
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- icing sugar mixture, to decorate
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 2cm-deep x 3cm-wide piece from top of each cake. Cut tops in half. Spoon 2 teaspoons jam into each hole. Spoon cream over jam. Arrange cake tops over cream to form wings. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.