- 2 cups kumquats, sliced ( some seeds removed)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Slice the kumquats and put them in the water (in a pan that can be used on the stovetop). Let this stand overnight.
- The next day, put the pan on the stovetop and boil the fruit until it is tender. Then pour the fruit mixture into a bowl and let stand for another night.
- On the third day, transfer the fruit/water mixture to a cooking pot and add 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Add brandy if used. Boil this mixture until it jells (about 45 minutes).
- Pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal.