250g unsalted butter
80g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp almond essence
1 egg yolk
375g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100g ground almond
Sifted icing sugar for dusting
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Grease or line two baking sheets. This volume will make between 30-40 biscuits.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the essence and egg, then beat until combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and almonds. Only fold until you sense the mix is about to come together into a dough.
Take tablespoons of the mix and roll in your hands until you have made a
fat sausage. Curve it slightly into a crescent and place on the baking
sheet. The biscuits expand a little but not greatly so you can put them
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Traditionally the biscuits are dusted with icing sugar before serving.